Chittoor sources have made a statement that fire broke out in a 50 year old textile building on the Church Road in the town on Friday. Sources have stated that the fire engulfed the building completely and soon spread to an adjoining building.
According to sources the incident occurred around 1 am on Friday due to a short circuit in Apurva Textiles at the Church Road. Meanwhile the two buildings owned by Apurva Textiles did not have necessary fire safety measures in place. A loss of over Rs 5 crore is estimated. Two fire fighting units rushed to the spot and struggled for 12 hours to put out the fire.
it was stated that the two buildings have only one fire extinguisher and there
was no ventilation space between them. Due to the lack of safety measures the
buildings were completely gutted.