The Impact of the Opioid Epidemic on Workers, Employers and Institutions. See link for full infographic and blog post.
We hope this infographic draws attention to the severity of the opioid epidemic and motivates business owners and employees to join forces in combating the problem.
READING, PA (PRWEB) September 13, 2017
It's no secret that the opioid abuse and overdose epidemic in the U.S. has grown at an alarming rate in recent years. In response to this threat to both workers and employers, American Insuring Group, Ltd, and insurance agency located near Reading, PA, has compiled a series of related statistics into a helpful infographic.
According to David Ross, president, "We began this project intending to help our commercial insurance customers understand the impact of the opioid epidemic on rising workers compensation insurance costs. What we learned in the process truly alarmed us. We hope this infographic draws attention to the severity of the opioid epidemic and motivates business owners and employees to join forces in combating the problem." The infographic was researched and developed by Power Marketing International, LLC.
The opioid abuse infographic, which includes links to the sources behind the information, summarizes 10 key statistics related to the opioid epidemic, and the resulting toll on U.S. workers, employers and institutions. Here is a brief synopsis:
- Prescription opioid abuse alone cost employers more than $25 billion in 2007 according to one study
- In 2011, approximately 25% of workers compensation drug claim costs were for opioids
- 80% of all opioid consumption occurs in the U.S.
- 5,000 employees a week are injured and disabled for at least a week
- In 2012, 259 million prescriptions were written for opioids, more than enough for every American adult to have their own bottle
- In 2013, prescription opioid dependence, abuse and overdose cost the U.S. $78.5 billion
- In 2014, almost 2 million Americans abused or were dependent on prescription opioids
- Approximately 60% of all injured workers who are prescribed opioids are estimated to become addicted
- Over 1,000 people daily are treated in emergency departments for misusing prescription opioids
- Opioids were involved in the overdose deaths of over 33,000 Americans in 2015, more than 4 times the number in 2000
For more information, click here to download the opioid abuse infographic and to read the related blog post.
About American Insuring Group, Ltd
American Insuring Group is a Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agency specializing in commercial insurance, with a primary focus on workers compensation insurance, restaurant, trucking and contractor insurance. Located near Reading, PA, the agency researches competing policies from over 25 insurance carriers in an effort to obtain the best prices on reliable insurance coverage. Find them at http://www.aigltd.com
About Power Marketing International, LLC
Power Marketing International is a Internet Marketing and Web Design firm located near Reading, PA specializing in online marketing and website development strategy and execution. Find them at http://www.powermarketinginternational.com.