15 Unknown Facts About Boom Boom Bumrah, The Yorker King, The Bowler Indian Cricket Team Badly Needed!
From pinging the wall skirting of his room with a cricket ball to becoming MS Dhoni’s go-to man in death overs, it hasn’t been a fairytale journey for pacer Jasprit Bumrah. What made the young pacer overcome personal tragedy and a career-threatening injury was an unflinching trust in his unique action, the knack of hitting the base of stumps at will and being calm under pressure.
Bumrah’s career graph has been in sync with Team India’s success. Jasprit Bumrah is a very electrifying fast bowler and he has impressed one and all with his skills in limited-overs cricket, already in his short career. People even went on to name him the ‘Yorker King’.
He doesn’t look intimidating and has a humble demeanor, far removed from that of a lethal fast bowler. He has an unpretentious run-up, which is never an indication of the brutal Yorkers that can leave batsmen nursing their toes.
Bumrah made his debut for India in 2016 against Australia and since then he has been a very important member of India’s limited-overs squad. His unorthodox action coupled with good accuracy has made him an asset for India in the shorter formats of the game.
His bowling technique was different and that’s what amazed all the coaches who ever trained him. Luckily, everyone understood that his bowling makes him stand out and hence, no one ever tried to change it. His bowling broke all the stereotypes and Jasprit Bumrah is shinning like a rising sun in the Indian cricket squad.
Bumrah and his family experienced their share of ups and downs.
1. Jasprit Bumrah lost his father when he was 7 years old.
2. It was his mother, a school Principal who single-handedly raised her children and helped follow their dreams.
3. Bumrah’s father, Jasbir Singh had a chemical business.
4. Jasprit wanted to settle with his family in Canada, he never had an idea of becoming a cricketer before 14. He even had no clue what to do in life if he didn’t even choose cricketing career.
5. Jasprit decided that he wanted to become a cricketer when he was 14.
6. He first came into limelight when he took 7 wickets in his debut first-class match against Vidarbha in the 2013-14 season and it is also the turning point in his career.
7. Gujarat’s Ranji team coach, Hitesh Majumdar, when asked about Bumrah told, Kabhi bouncer Dale Toh Kabhi Yorker.
He was still young but considering his variations, we decided to pick him for Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 championship that was to be held in Pune.
8. John Wright (former Mumbai Indian’s coach) was the first one to notice Jasprit’s talent when he was playing for the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. He later picked him in Mumbai Indians’ squad.
9. Bumrah is a big fan of Amitabh Bachchan and his favorite dish is Dhokla.
10. His friends and family say that Bumrah’s calmness is his real strength.
11. Though Jasprit had different bowling techniques like bouncers and Yorkers, he didn’t know how to use them till Malinga helped him make the best use of them.
12. According to a report, it is said that a few asked him to join a different team in the IPL but he stuck to Mumbai Indians because he wanted to learn so much more from Malinga.
13. Bumrah is a master in troubling the opposite batsmen with his unorthodox slingy action. He was also praised by Glen McGrath and was asked not to change his bowling style.
14. Jasprit impressed Dhoni with his technique during the T20 series against Australia in 2016 and he named him “the find of the tour”. Soon, Bumrah earned a reputation of his own and is now India’s death over specialist.
15. In 2014, Jasprit had knee surgery that broke him down for a while but couldn’t break his spirit. He worked really hard to get his fitness back and started bowling again.
After knowing these unknown facts of Jasprit Bumrah once can just imagine how hard it was for him to reach the stage he is now. Let’s wish him All The Best for his future.
Must Read: 25 Incredible and Interesting Facts About Virat Kohli You Probably Don’t Know