Chelsea vs Leicester City match preview: Team news, predicted line-up and stats
Chelsea will face off against Claude Puel's Leicester City, in the matchweek 23 of the Premier League, at the Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
The reigning Premier League champions currently sit third in the table, with 46 points from 22 games â one behind second-placed Manchester United and sixteen below leaders Manchester City. Coming into the game on the back of three consecutive draws against Arsenal in the league, then against Norwich City in the FA Cup, followed by another stalemate against the Gunners in the Carabao Cup, manager Antonio Conte will be hoping that his side get back to winning ways on Saturday.
Leicester City have been on a resurgent run ever since Puel took over the reins from Craig Shakespeare. The Foxes have made their way into the top half of the table and currently occupy the eighth place in the standings. Their last fixture ended in a goalless draw as well, against Fleetwood Town in the FA Cup and Puel will be keen on going away with a point at the very least from the bridge.
Head to Head
Chelsea have the upper hand when it comes to head to head record between the two sides. The Blues have tasted victory on 55 occasions out of the 105 times the two clubs have met, while the Foxes have ended up on the winning side on 25 times. Chelsea beat Leicester 2-1 when the two last met, in September last year.
Leicester City: DWLLD
Chelsea have no fresh injury concerns ahead of Saturday's visit of Leicester. January signing Ross Barkley is working towards his fitness and is likely to be ready by next week, but the weekend clash comes too soon for the former Englishman.
Jamie Vardy is expected to be fit after missing out in the last two games for the Foxes with a groin problem. Defenders Danny Simpson and Wes Morgan are ruled out of the tie, with hamstring injuries.
Chelsea (3-4-2-1): Thibaut Courtois; Cesar Azpilicueta, Andreas Christensen, Gary Cahill; Victor Moses, N'Golo Kante, Cesc Fabregas, Marcos Alonso; Pedro, Eden Hazard; Alvaro Morata;
Leicester City (4-4-2): Kasper Schmeichel; Daniel Amartey, Aleksandar Dragovic, Harry Maguire, Ben Chilwell; Riyad Mahrez, Wilfred Ndidi, Vicente Iborra, Marc Albrighton; Jamie Vardy, Islam Slimani;
- Leicester have lost 12 of the last 14 meetings in all competitions, with the only exceptions coming during their title-winning 2015-16 season when they won at home and drew away.
- Chelsea have only lost once in 26 league games against Leicester at Stamford Bridge since 1965. Â That was a 2-0 defeat in September 2000 (W16, D9, L1).
- The Blues have won seven successive home games in the league, keeping five clean sheets during that run.
- Antonio Conte has won 25 of his first 30 Premier League home fixtures as manager, a joint record with Jose Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti. Mourinho and Ancelotti both failed to win their 31st home games in charge.
- The Foxes are winless in their last 12 Premier League away games against the current top six sides, losing each of the last five.
- They could win their opening two top-flight matches of a calendar year for the first time since 1984.
- Jamie Vardy has scored an unrivalled 22 Premier League goals in 41 appearances against the current top six clubs since his top-flight debut in August 2014.
- Marcos Alonso has scored 12 Premier League goals since the start of last season, more than any other defender.
Stamford Bridge, London, England
Saturday, 13 January, 2018, 15:00 local time/ 20:30 (IST)
Where to watch? (India)
Star Sports Select 1 HD/ Star Sports Select 1;
- Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard reveals when will he sign new contract