50 classic cars worth millions to go under the hammer
London - International auctioneers Coys have 50 classic cars worth millions going under the hammer at their long-established Spring Classics auction on April 24 at the Royal Horticultural Halls in London.
Chris Routledge, CEO of Coys, said: "Our Spring Classics auction has for decades been a prelude to motoring season which is now very much upon us. This year we have a stunning selection 50 fine historic and classic motor cars looking for a new owner, ranging from three original-bodied pre-war Rolls Royces through to a genuine barn find 1960s Bentley S3 Continental Coupe by Mulliner."
The barn find 1963 Bentley Continental Mulliner Park Ward S3 is one of the highlights of the auction and, although it is being offered at no reserve, it could fetch £40 000 - about R600 000 - on the hammer.
The car was retired in the early 1990s in expectation of a future restoration, which never happened, and has turned into a genuine time capsule.
It remains in original factory specification and comes with a comprehensive history file, including a letter confirming the original build information, original buff log book and tool kit as well as bills and receipts of maintenance work.
The Rolls-Royce trio features a 1920 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Silver Ghost by Barker (£60 000 - £80 000), a 1938 Rolls-Royce 25/30 Sports Saloon by Thrupp and Maberly (£25 000 - £30 000) and a 1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Sports Saloon by Hooper (£20 000 - £25 000). These cars represent a thriving era for the Rolls-Royce marque, when it started to become a symbol of prestige, reliability and quality.
The also catalogue boasts a number of classic Jaguars including:
- An original right-hand drive 1963 E-Type Series I 3.8 Litre Roadster £100 000 - £130 00
- A highly original 1962 E-Type Series 1 ‘Flatfloor’ Roadster £120 000 - £150 000
- 1953 Jaguar XK120 Fixed Head Coupe £90 000 - £110 000
- 1951 Jaguar XK120 Roadster perfect for continental touring in the summer £90 000 - £110 000
Other highlights include:
- Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘Gullwing’ Evocation by Anton ‘Tony’ Ostermeier £200 000 - £250 000
- 1983 Ferrari 512 BBI £220 000 - £280 000
- 1949 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Custom 'Cad Attack' by Greg Westbury £30 000 - £50 000
- 1955 Austin Healey 100/M £100 000 - £125 000
- 1938 Lancia Aprilia Monoposto £35 000 - £45 000
Address: The Royal Horticultural Society, Lawrence Hall, Vincent Square, London, SW1P 2PE
Date & time: 7:00pm on 24 Apr 2018
Viewing: Monday 23rd April from 12:00 to 8:00pm
On the day of the sale from 10.00am to start of auction