CWG organisers apologise for ‘shameful’ closing ceremony
The organizers of the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games have apologised for Sunday’s closing ceremony on Sunday night which has been roundly criticised for not including athletes.
Athletes, including the competing countries’ respective flag-bearers, marched on to the arena before the ceremony commenced, meaning the audience at Carrara stadium could see them, but the TV audience couldn’t. Many athletes were seen leaving the stadium while the closing speeches were still in progress, reports Xinhua news agency.
The ceremony was even criticised by Australian broadcasters, Channel Seven, with former CWG bronze Medallist Johanna Griggs saying during the live coverage she was “furious” with the decision.
Griggs said, live on air.
Commonwealth Games Chairman Peter Beattie acknowledged on Monday that organisers made a mistake featuring athletes in the pre-show instead of the television coverage.
Beattie told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) on Monday.
Beattie, who had previously described the CWG as and said he was disappointed the viewers at home did not get to see the athletes.
the Commonwealth Games chairman said.
In a social media post on Monday morning, Beattie said the closing ceremony telecast should have been organised more appropriately.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, who actually spoke at the closing ceremony, also criticised the organisers on Monday.
Palaszczuk told reporters.
Athletes themselves have said they were disappointed to not be included in the closing ceremony.
Angus Brandt, a member of the Australian basketball team which won a gold medal, said the entire Australian basketball team was disappointed to be left out.
Brandt said on Australian Television on Monday.
The host broadcaster of the CWG, NEP Group, also released a social media post saying it was