Katie Price pleads guilty to driving while disqualified and without insurance
Former glamour model Katie Price has pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified and without insurance after she mistakenly believed her ban had come to an end.
The 40-year-old was summonsed to Crawley Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday to answer the charges after she was spotted driving on the A24 near her West Sussex home on July 25 while a six-month driving ban was still in place.
The reality star had driven back from the short stay car park at Gatwick Airport to Dial Post, a hamlet near Horsham, after travelling by train into London to take her son to a medical appointment, the court heard.
She made the discovery after being phoned by a newspaper informing her she had breached her ban which was later confirmed with police, magistrates were told.Katie Price was flanked by security guards and an adviser when she arrived at court (Andrew Matthews/PA)
She was banned from driving for six months in February but Paul Macaulay, defending, said Ms Price had mistakenly believed the ban had been imposed from an earlier hearing in January – which meant it would have ended in early July, before she got behind the wheel.
But she had not contacted the DVLA about reinstating her driving licence because she was “not the best” at paperwork, he told the court.
Arriving in a black saloon car and greeted by a large pack of photographers, she wore a brown fur Cossack-style hat and matching poncho with black leggings and sunglasses flanked by two bodyguards and several advisors.
She removed her hat before entering the court room with her lawyer, who carried a large brown bag for her.
Standing in the dock she spoke only to confirm her name, date of birth and address before sitting down to listen to the proceedings.
Magistrates adjourned the hearing while they decide on a sentence which is expected to be handed down today.