Shakib Al Hasan did not sustain any serious injury, says BCB selector
Chief selector of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) Minhajul Abedin has stated that Shakib Al Hasan has not sustained any serious injury. The all-rounder had walked off the field during Bangladesh’s run chase against Ireland on May 15 as the injury appeared to a side strain in his left side.
In the encounter between Bangladesh and Ireland on Wednesday, the former had to chase down 293 runs. Shakib Al Hasan was seen clutching his left side in pain during the 35th over of the second innings and the physiotherapist Thihan Chandramohan spent a few minutes trying to relieve him of the pain. The player resumed his batting but in the very next over, he once again felt the pain as he pulled a short ball off Joshu Little. He went back to the pavilion this time and was retired hurt at 50 off 51 balls.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) chief selector Minhajul Abedin stated that the injury is not serious and the decision to take Shakib off the field was taken as a precautionary measure.
"He did not sustain any serious injury as far as we are concerned. We did not want to take any risk with him so we opted to bring him back but we are confident that he will be fine soon,” he said, reported Cricbuzz.
This comes as a wise decision from BCB as Shakib is a key player for Bangladesh with the World Cup around the corner. The 32-year-old has suffered from quite a few injuries off-late as he had contracted a finger infection in September last year followed by a fractured finger during the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) finals in February. He had missed out on the three ODIs in the tour to New Zealand but was given an NOC (No-Objection Certificate) for participating in the Indian Premier League.